Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cayman Jan 13-18 2011 - Week 1

I finally got to Cayman after 22 hours of travelling! It usually takes half the amount of time, but thanks to all the snow, I had to go a weird way with lots of waiting in between: drive to Seatac, fly to Dallas, fly to Miami and then finally fly to Cayman. But so well worth it!

Little Coco is so funny. Everytime I start singing her a song she puts her finger to her mouth and says "Sssshhhhhh!" Then when she sees the look of dismay on my face she laughs hysterically.

Jan.13, Thursday - On my first full day here Nanny Jing and I took Coco to an indoor playground and then to Quizno's for lunch. I needed a long nap when we got home. Then when Shay and Rio came home we did a treasure hunt. All 3 of them got an outfit and the 2 older ones got puzzles. Rio finished her puzzle meant for a 4 year old in about half an hour. But the puzzle for a 6 year old took Shay and me over 3 hours to do! I don't know what's going to happen when I have to buy a puzzle for a 7 year old?! Maybe I should just keep buying puzzles meant for 4 year olds!












After dinner I needed another nap. Then I stayed up for another hour or so tossing balls around with the kids. Finally I went to bed and slept for a solid 8 hours.


Jan.14, Friday - It has never been this cold here before. The warmest it has been is 26 degrees and it is very windy which makes it feel freezing. In all the years that I have been coming here it has never been this cold. I was even able to wear my hair down because the back of my neck wasn't all yucky sweaty.....maybe I'm sharing too much information!


Anyways, I went with Jing and Coco to their small version of Costco and then to my favourite grocery store Kirk's. Coco talks so embarassing loud in the store....but it's kinda funny too! They all know her there so they put up with the loud voice - they also put up with her stealing grapes and eating them while we shop. They even offer her other treats! Whatta spoiled brat - I wish I could eat free there too!

Jan.15, Saturday- Today was a fun day. Spent the morning playing with the kids and taking an early nap - resting up for our afternoon in the sun. The weather is so cool these days, you don't even break a sweat! Both Monette and Shay were playing in a ball hockey tournament to raise money for childrens' cancer.











Spent a few hours out in the sun surrounded by all their families and friends. At one point a bunch of the little kids that I know from their play group sat with me. Whenever I see them they always want me to tell them about what happened to my bad eye and ask me stories about Canada. I love little kids!

Afterwards we got a quick bite to eat at Camana Bay and then headed home. After that, I needed a second nap! Second naps seem to be the norm for me here.



Sunday - Why did I come here during playoff season for the NFL? All Jason and Monette want to do is watch football! Thank goodness they had a children's party to go to for part of the day. Had the tv all to myself!





Monday - I went to the community centre for Coco's play group. I knew a couple of the filipino nannies and their kids. I met someone who had lived on the island for a few years, but it was her first time at the play group. Then another lady came up to me. It was her first time at the play group. She was a nanny who just came from England. It's so nice to meet new people here.


Monette's gone til Thursday for work. Tonight I played a lot with the girls in Rio's room. We ended up playing with their big Barbie doll house that is about 4 feet tall with many floors. The elevator, unfortunately is broken. So in the game we played, I own the house. Visitors come into my house and before I can tell Ken that the elevator is broken he jumps into it. He gets trapped and when I call the elevator repair man, he says he can't fix it til later the next day. So we have to throw food and water to Ken in the elevator. Then the worst thing happens - he has to use the washroom! We give him a bucket to pee and poo in. (All games with my nieces contain the words pee and poo.) What's worse is that when the elevator is fixed Ken comes out and is really stinky. I try making him take a bath in the bathroom, but the mermaid barbie is in the bath. Then I try putting him in the bathroom sink, but another barbie is using that. Finally I take him to the kitchen sink, but the silly kitchen doesn't have a sink. I try covering him with perfume, but all my perfume bottles are empty. I tried to give Ken one of my dresses to wear instead, but finally Ken disappears. For the next week all I do is scrub the house clean, trying to get rid of the bad smells. Finally I am happy. Then who comes to the door, Ken!!! He still hasn't taken a bath and is still as smelly as ever. I say "NOOOO! Get out!" But Ken doesn't listen and he runs around in every room in the house and makes it smell so bad again! I cry and cry as my nieces laugh. The End!



Tuesday - Jing, Coco and I went back to Kirk's store to do more grocery shopping. We went window shopping in the Pink Mall - well, I went window shopping and Jing actually bought stuff. Later that night Shay was mad because we were shopping while Jing was technically working. Shay doesn't realize that keeping me entertained is part of Jing's job while I'm here!

Then we went to Chicken, Chicken for lunch. Had me some delicious jerk chicken!

Back home for a nap to get me through the night of playing with the kids at the house.

Well, that's my first week here in Cayman. Four more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment